The village is in the southwestern part of Inishowen and has a population of 1080 (2016 census). John Cunningham gave his name to the village. He originally came here from the village of Kilbirnie in Ayrshire, Scotland. He arrived during the Plantation of Ulster and he was granted lands here in County Donegal.
The village is located close to Blanket Nook Wildfowl Reserve, a wetland area that is a wintering site for the rare whooper swan. Activities close by also include Inch Wildfowl Reserve, Grianan of Aileach and the sixteenth-century Burt Castle.
Work is due to begin shortly on the new North West Greenway routes which will connect the village to Buncrana and Derry via Inch Wildlife Reserve.
The beautiful All Saints Catholic Church in the town was built in 1999 for 1.2 million pounds. Its unusual design is based on St. Peter’s Barque or Bark, the boat he used for fishing on the Sea of Galilee.
Save To List
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.