Raphoe Townparks, Lifford-Stranorlar Municipal District, Raphoe, Finn Valley, Ireland
Also known as the Bishop’s Palace, Raphoe castle was built in the early 17th Century for The Rt. Rev. Dr John Leslie, who was the Bishop of Raphoe at the time.
In the Irish Rebellion of 1641, the Bishop was besieged within the castle until he was relieved by the Laggan Army. Bishop Leslie was besieged again this time by Cromwellian troops in 1650. The castle was damaged during the Williamite wars in 1689 by supporters of King James VII. In the Irish Rebellion of 1798, the castle was attacked by the United Irishmen, where three were killed in the assault of the castle. In 1838 an accidental fire finally destroyed the castle.
The castle can be found close to the town centre just behind St Eunan’s Cathedral.